Sam Marks and Ashley Zubal only need you to bring a few things with you to your first consultation. What we find most helpful is your last 6 months of pay stubs, your last two years of tax returns, any letters or documents from the court, and any bills you can find.
DON’T WORRY ABOUT NOT HAVING SOMETHING WHEN YOU COME TO YOUR FIRST MEETING!!!!!
ALMOST NO ONE EVER BRINGS EVERYTHING THEY NEED TO THE FIRST MEETING!!!!!
Sam and Ashley will mostly be interested to learn about your situation and will spend the time necessary to figure out how they can help you best.
Some of our clients like to try to bring as much as they can to the first meeting and that is fine. If you are looking for guidance as to what to bring in addition to the above information consider bringing items listed below. Amanda Ruzek, our bankruptcy paralegal, provided the following information in our March 2011 Newsletter.
WHAT I NEED TO BRING TO EVERY BANKRUPTCY APPOINTMENT:
Because the bankruptcy court uses the last 6 months of income and information, we always need the most current:
- Bank statements
- Retirement account statements (401K, Pension, IRA, ETC.)
- Stock values
- Credit counseling certificate (please note it is valid for only 6 months)
- Copies of any judgments, liens, foreclosures, etc. for the last 2 years
- If you are in a Chapter 7 we need the last two years of tax returns (federal and state); if you are in a Chapter 13 we need the last 4 years of tax returns (federal and state)
INFORMATION I WILL NEED TO PROVIDE TO MY ATTORNEY:
- If you have been divorced in the last 8 years we need a copy of the divorce decree
- If you have transferred any property out of your name into someone else’s name (including trade-ins) in the last two years we need to know the date of the transfer, the person or entity it was transferred to, and the description and value of the property that was transferred
- If you have closed any financial accounts in the last year (checking, savings, etc.) we need to know the date it was closed, the type of account it was, the entity it was through, and the value of the account at the time of closing
- We need to know your address for the last three years and the dates lived at each address
- If you are having a credit report pulled, please note that things like medical bills do not always show up on credit reports, unless they have already been turned over to a third party collection agency & Marks Law Firm will not be included in the bankruptcy unless we are provided with something showing the bill is owed.
*Please note the more information and thoroughly prepared you are when you come into the office the quicker and easier we can get your bankruptcy petition built and prepared to file.