Homeowners nationwide are facing foreclosure for a variety of reasons including job loss, divorce or separation, medical issues, or overwhelming debt. Marks Law Firm understands the stresses that come with the threat of foreclosure, and we will do everything that we can to minimize these stressors. We have smooth and efficient methods and systems that ensure our clients get the best possible outcome. 

Contact us to schedule a completely free initial consultation with one of our dedicated attorneys and we will get right to work doing what needs to be done to save your home.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Click on any questions you may have and you will be redirected to an answer. If your question is still unanswered, feel free to contact our office for more information at 515-276-7211 or Office@markslawdm.com.

What is foreclosure?

Foreclosure is a legal process where a lender or creditor will attempt to recover an amount due on a loan by taking ownership of the collateral property and selling it to pay off the mortgage loan. 

What causes foreclosure?

A foreclosure can occur when the borrower or property owner does not make their mortgage payments and the lender will repossess the property. Foreclosure can also happen when property taxes or homeowner’s association fees are left unpaid.

How do I know if I am being foreclosed on?

Generally, after the first missed payment, your mortgage company will send a Missed Payment Notice. After two missed payments, they will send a Demand letter as an attempt to collect the missed payments. After 90 days of missed payments, lenders will usually send a Notice of Default stating that the loan will be turned over to the lender’s foreclosure department. Roughly 90 days after the Notice of Default, you will receive a Notice of Sheriff’s Sale. This means that your home is scheduled to go up for auction at a public Sheriff’s sale usually within a month. At the Sheriff’s sale, the home will be sold to the highest bidder who will immediately take possession of the property. At this point, you will receive an eviction notice and be asked to vacate the premises.

Marks Law Firm will do everything in our power to ensure that you are able to keep your home or remain in it as long as possible. However, the sooner you involve us, the better. Generally, we would recommend coming to us as soon as you receive a Demand letter.

How much time do I have before they take my house?

Each individual case is different in how long the foreclosure process can take due to multiple factors including the dates of missed payments, the lender, and the county Sheriff’s office. A typical foreclosure can last anywhere from 6-12 months or even longer.

If you reach out to us immediately, it is likely that we will be able to keep you in your home for 4-6 months at a minimum.

Can I stop a foreclosure?

Yes, it is possible to stop a foreclosure. The following are ways to stop a foreclosure:

  • Bring your loans current
  • Apply for a loan modification
  • Request a forbearance
  • Sell your home
  • File for bankruptcy

What happens to the equity I have in my house?

The equity that you have in your house remains yours even through a foreclosure though it will likely be reduced. You will still owe your missed payments and any late payment fees will be added to the total loan amount. The lender can also charge fees related to the process of the late payment, foreclosure proceedings and expenses for the sale of the home. These fees will likely be subtracted from the final amount owed to you after the home is sold.

Once your home sells at a Sheriff’s sale to the highest bidder, your loan will be paid in full along with any additional fees charged by your lender. The remaining amount after the loan and fees are paid off is your remaining equity.

Is it possible to keep my house?

Yes, it is possible to keep your house even through a foreclosure proceeding. There are quite a few options that we can explore to keep your house during a foreclosure.

Contact us and schedule a free initial consultation to determine if it will be possible for you to keep your house.

Can my mortgage company sue me personally for the price of the house?

Technically yes, but in the state of Iowa 99.9% of the time they wont because suing you personally impacts their legal rights negatively and therefore, they typically do not. Sam has been practicing for more than 20 years and has seen this happen less than 20 times.

Will I ever be able to buy another house?

Yes! Typically, if you keep your nose clean after filing BK, you will qualify (subject to income and other factors) for an FHA loan two years after discharge and a conventional loan four years after discharge

*we have heard but not confirmed that these time periods have been reduced to 18 months and 36 months. Our advice is to always talk to a mortgage broker (not agent) to better understand your options

Can I still seek a loan modification?

Yes, you can seek a loan modification during the foreclosure process. Marks Law Firm is happy to help you work with your lender to get their loan modification forms and fill them out. However, time is of the essence so make sure to contact us quickly.

Contact our office today and schedule an initial appointment to start the process of obtaining a loan modification.

Where are services offered?

Marks Law Firm offers foreclosure defense services in central Iowa including Des Moines and the following cities:

Knoxville, Iowa

Altoona, Iowa

Contact us today by calling 515-276-7211 or fill out the form below and we will call you!